Monday, December 12, 2011

Aunt Grace's Six Rules To Live By

For those of you who don't know me, I don't have an Aunt Grace. This women isn't my aunt. She isn't even someone I've ever met. But I read a story in which she gave six rules to live by and it was very comforting.

Let's take a quick step back. I'm reading this book called "Chicken Soup for the Single's Soul." I'm single. I've been single for a while. I'm okay with it. I have friends who can't live or survive without being a relationship. They jump from relationship to relationship with every Nicole, Sarah, and Brittany they can find. That's not me. I'm more about quality; not quantity. I don't just jump into a relationship with someone because frankly, I just don't want too. I would love to find someone who loves me and start a family and yadda yadda yadda but I am not dying to find someone.

I'm perfectly happy being single. I can do what I want with who I want and not have to worry about anyone else wondering what I'm doing or vise-versa. I am free to live my life. If I want to pick up and move to California tomorrow, there is no one here to stop me. Some people think that's sad; I think it's life. I am a free spirit. I always have been. I am willing to work at a relationship with someone I care about, but that's not my number one concern right now. My number one concern is me. I am working on becoming more healthier; mentally and physically. I am working out more, eating better, and reading more. My other concern lately is finding a job. After I succeed at these two, then I can work on the whole dating thing. But if someone comes along in the meantime, I'm not going to be upset either.

Anyway, back to Aunt Grace. Her six simple rules were this:
1.Do something for someone else.
2. Do something for yourself.
3. Do something I don't want to do that needs doing.
4. Do a physical exercise.
5. Do a mental exercise.
6. Do an original prayer that includes counting my blessings.


Those are pretty simple demands. I like doing things for other people. I like the positive response and the look of happiness on their face for actually taking time out of my day to think of them. I am starting to do more for myself. I'm the one I forget about most. I would go to the ends of the Earth to help someone I care about; but I'm the last person to do something for me. I have a few ideas about some things that need to get done and I am working on it. Physical exercise = done. 5 mile run today. I work out now like 4-6 times a week. Mental exercise, I'm reading more. I'm planning on going back to school for my Master's or my MBA or something of that sort so got that covered as well. Plus, I like to write. That seems to be something that calms my nerves and helps me to focus. Do an original prayer that includes counting my blessings? This is gonna be "hell on wheels." I'm not religious by any means. Me yelling "Jesus Christ" is the closest thing you will find to prayer. I can though, sit around and clear my mind and be thankful for the things that I do have in life. I could take some time out of my day and be thankful. If I have time to read about which celebrity couple is getting divorced now, I can stop for a minute and be thankful for the things, family, friends, and accomplishments I have.

Christmas is coming. So now might be the perfect time to start focusing on things that I am thankful for. And this is also the time of year for giving. I have some ideas about what I can do to help out. Every little bit counts. I haven't volunteered my time in a while and that is something I used to do all the time. I could really get back into doing that again; even if it just a part-time basis.

I was talking with my dad's girlfriend Mel last night and she gave me some great information about going back to school. I found out that I might be able to get to go for not as much as I thought it would cost me due to unemployment. Apparently, they like when you do things to better yourself. I'm okay with that. Maybe I can be professionally unemployed for the rest of my life. Just kidding. I'd get bored of that eventually. I do though wanna go back to school. I like learning. I'm good at learning. And having a higher degree can never hurt. Nothing is set in stone though. I need to see what unemployment says first because I don't have the money to drop another six figures to go back to school. One day at a time. That's all I can ask for.

I'll let you all know how these rules turn out over the next week or so and if I find they are actually making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment